Monday, January 09, 2006

Resolutions

I'm such a slacker for letting last week slip by, but with no progress (really) on the knitting, I felt I didn't have anything to share.

The reason for no progress last week was because I was busy reading and then watching "Memoirs of a Geisha". I really enjoyed this book, so much in fact that I couldn't put it down! It's all I wanted to do. Seeing the movie on Sat. was a perfect windup to a week of reading. I highly recommend both the book and the movie. I've read some reviews from people that they didn't like the changes from book to movie, but I thought they did an excellent job of capturing the feel of the book. They were both gorgeous and now I find myself very inspired by all Japanese art and culture. Check out this great website for more about Geisha and their culture.

I've made a list of New Year's Resolutions and I'll share a few of them here. I find as I'm nearing turning 26 I've been re-evaluating many of the things in my life, where I'm going and what I'm doing. I'm not going to share some of the deeper things I've resolved to do this year, but here's a few of the things on my list. They include both crafting/knitting related goals and life goals:

1. Start exercising with an aerobics video at home (I love to dance, it's the only way I can enjoy "working out")
2. Branch out in my knitting. Finish my first sweater!
3. Finish projects I start (which means really thinking things through before starting) and perhaps think about designing something myself.
4. Keep craft room clean and organized (it gets messy fast and then affects my desire to be creative).
5. Find new uses for my sewing machine. And use it more (including the stash of fabric). Make a quilt (my first).
6. Keep moving forward in bookbinding. Try new styles, be more creative, enter more exhibits/shows, sell more books, take a workshop at the Book Arts Program, think about applying again for an MFA.
7. Start writing more and keep a journal.
8. Be more productive and self-motivated.
9. And of course, be better about blogging (more than once a week).

Well, that's a few of the things on the list. I think it will keep me busy this year, I just need to try not to tackle them all at once, which is usually what happens, with the result that I never keep any of them. Now it's time to get back to working more on Clapotis and my first socks!

No comments: