Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Reactions

Well, lets just say my reactions to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince have fluctuated almost hourly since completing in on Sunday night. (I'll try not to put in any spoilers) I must admit, I am not afraid, I bawled like a baby at the end. I couldn't help it, it was just so... SAD! My roommates were giving me strange looks, asking if I needed a hug, and telling me that I should stop reading for the night. But with only one chapter to go, I had to finish, even if I did have to get up every two minutes to get more Kleenex so I could actually read the words on the page. It was kind of more of a half sob, half hysterical laugh, once I realized what I was actually crying about... a book, containing FICTIONAL characters. But I was still upset. Still am to a certain extent, but I've thought things through and I'm going to give JKR the benefit of the doubt and believe that she actually knows what she's doing. I know I'm not alone in my reactions (perhaps more so in my eye's reactions) because my roommate was at first extreemly disapointed as well. I loved the whole book, up until the last two or three chapters. I thought it was very well written, probably one of the best of the series so far. I loved the progression the characters made and I wasn't all that sad there was a great lack of the adventure in the middle. My beef at the end had more to do with who died rather than how it was written or what happened exactly. So I guess I'm going to have to go back and start reading it again, looking meticulously for clues to figure out exactly what happened, why and what's going to happen next. Knowing JKR, there's bound to be more twists and turns ahead for Harry and Hogwarts.

I've been reading a lot of the interviews JKR has given lately (many can be found on links from MuggleNet) and I've come to a better understanding of what she did and why, and I admire the fact that she's said she doesn't care if people like the books or not, she's writing them for herself, not the fans. I think she'll remain true to her story and to Harry. I have faith yet, that everything will turn out (mostly) for the better.

I want to know what others thought once they're done, so leave comments or let me know!

P.S. I had a blast on Friday night, despite the depression that set in on Sunday... Michael and his friend Sabrina came down from Rexburg for a concert on Sat. and we all went to the big Potter Party at the Library and then to B&N to get the book at midnight. We drank butterbeer, saw a GREAT costume contest, got to meet a real owl, got our picture with Harry, and just had a blast in general. There was so much going on and so many people out, it was just great to participate in the excited spirit of the night. It was a great weekend, no matter the tears!

No comments: