Tuesday, April 05, 2005

My Book "Threw Up"

throw up

Did you know that books throw up? Gross huh? Well, not really because "throw up" refers to how the spine curves as it opens. Whoever thought that one up was on something! So I went to this bookbinding lecture this weekend all about how you should sew a book to get good throw up. Yeah, I guess there are quite a few things that can affect the way a book works, which is pretty cool (at least I think so). So this picture of a book I made a couple of years ago has pretty good throw up, but the drape of the paper isn't good for the size of the book I made. I should have made it bigger since the paper is so thick so that when it opened the pages would lie flat. Oops, anyway, the curve the spine makes is good, but I also could have made it more flexible to help the pages lie flat. There are a few things you can tweak in a book to make it better. I've had fun learning so many new things about sewing a book. I'm starting another roundspine on raised cords so I'm going to experiment with one of the new techniques I was taught called "packed sewing" so that I can see if it will make a difference. We'll see how it turns out.

Other news, this weekend I finished the brown shrug, it's cute and I can't wait to wear it. I am starting a purse next. This girl in my bookbinding class has the cutest purse she knit so I'm trying to copy it without a pattern. I'm just going to play around and see what happens. It's just out of plain cotton yarn but she crocheted some really cute designs in contrasting yarn on the outside and I'm going to put something cute on mine. Should be fun!

No comments: