Thursday, June 02, 2005

High 5!

Our first assignment for letterpress was due last night and we had our first critique. I'm really happy becuase I got the highest score and also the only 5 of the night! It's weird because I was really worried going into the critique that mine wasn't that good. I wasn't happy with how light the ink came out and a couple of other things, but since I'm non-credit I didn't really care that much. But then when they finally got to mine, my teacher said that with the comercially made paper we used, she couldn't have done better herself! Wow. I'm just really happy. Even though the ink came out light, it was still even and filled in with the right ammount of pressure. Maybe I have a natural talent for letterpress. I'm still intimidated about some stuff, but I'm getting more comfortable. It doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist. But I'm getting excited about the next two projects. I just need to print the second and for the third we have to design a broadside. I'm not sure what I'm going to do since it has to incorporate text and images, but I'm thinking about making a zinc plate of what I want my logo for Violet Book Bindery to look like and then creating a kind of advertisement for my business. For this first assignment we weren't graded on any artisitc elements, just our printing technique, so the next ones are going to stress me out, since everyone else in my class is an art major. These people have some really cool ideas. I'll definately be learning from this whole experience.
Tonight I'm attending a book lecture at the U. Hedi Kyle is lecturing and did a workshop yesterday. It's supposed to be a really good lecture, so I'll probably be sharing what I learn!
I'll put a picture or scan of my competed assignment up tonight when I get home so you can see how my project turned out.

No comments: